Cris Johnson’s Magic Workshop
Would you like to see your YA readers enthusiastically check out books from all kinds of sections in your library? Read on…
If you are looking for programs that really “grab” YAs, this program is for you! This program is exciting, high energy, high quality, interactive, and really interests young adults! The best part/ Because it is SO interactive, the very nature of it stimulates further reading.
“Cris Johnson’s Magic Workshop” is a YA program that teaches 9-15 year olds magic tricks, magic history, and stagecraft, while building their confidence and motivating them to explore the library to learn more! Developed by a professional magician with nearly 20 years’ experience across North America, (that’s me!), this is a workshop that your readers will talk about all summer.
This 60 minute young adult magic workshop will provide YA readers the materials and knowledge to perform a half dozen magic tricks and will expose them to different subjects (such as psychology, stagecraft, and history) in the library to enable them to learn more about this fascinating performance art. Attendees will see a brief magic show, learn how to perform beginning-level magic effects, learn some of the introduced to some of history and important people of magic, and introduced to ways that the library can help them learn even more about this amazing subject.
There are summer program performers and authors who don’t quite measure up to their promotional materials. Some are good at their skill but are not as adept at teaching that skill – it takes talent to not just give the kids the information but to also ensure that understand and can use that information.
“Cris Johnson’s Magic Workshop!” brings you the best of all worlds. This workshop has been carefully designed to give the kids attending some real-world knowledge of not only the secrets of magic (which is what first draws their attention) but how to perform the tricks as well as an appreciation of the history of magic and stagecraft. This is a YA program your kids and parents will LOVE –- simply because it’s so interactive!
Each attendee will receive:
• Printed instructions for each of the 6 magic effects
• Everything needed to perform these 6 tricks covered in the workshop
• Instruction by one of the nation’s busiest childrens’ presenters in schools and libraries
• A list of resources (print and internet) that will encourage further exploration of this amazing performance art
• Encouragement and inspiration to visit the library to learn more!
The Library will receive:
• A digital copy of a flier that can be duplicated to promote the event
• A customized-for-your-event press release that can be sent to media outlets to generate more interest
• An amazing, interactive workshop that kids will remember for months
• Excited readers who will return to your library for more information
• A resource list of suggested fbooks on magic, performing arts, psychology and history of magic as well as famous magicians
• Thanks for both attendees and parents for providing a wonderful experience!